Friday 13 March 2015

Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara | Product Flop

Well quite frankly I'm disappointed, and I'm disappointed that I'm disappointed because I'd been awaiting the release of the Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara for some time and couldn't wait to get my hands on it. What I thought would turn into a burning love affair... just turned into burning eyes. Yep, read on to find out why I pretty much hate the new Lash Sensational Mascara. 


Let's start with the good. The packaging looks quite up market (for a drugstore brand) opting for a muted metallic blush colour and nothing to garish or loud. The price tag is also on point, at a cosy £7.99 it ticks the 'under a tenner' box and has had its fair share of hype online. The brush is also slightly spooned, a shape that works well for me as the curve tends to hug and lift the lashes. So all in all I was pretty excited for this little baby, until that is, I discovered one teeny tiny flaw...
I'm allergic to the formula! I was beyond gutted by this, because I always get on really well with Maybelline mascaras and I've never had a reaction to any of their other ones. After around four hours wearing this the desire to rub my eyes was unbearable and I just wanted to take it all off. My eyes were red, sore and itched like crazy. But, like a trooper, I stuck with it and (fiercely or foolishly) gave this thing a week's wear to see if there was another explanation for my eyes trying to escape my face... The following day I wore this with no eyeliner or eye shadow, and changed my foundation. You guessed it, the same problem happened, leaving me with no other possible products that could be causing the irritation. Just to be sure, I switched back to my trusty Maybelline The Falsies half way through the week (which I still prefer Bee Tee Dubs) and had no irritation at all.


Setting that aside, let’s get into how the product performed as a mascara, as it’s doubtful you’ll have the same irritation problems that I had. Now mascara is 
such a personal preference, it's hard to say what's good and what's bad in terms of results because people want different things. (Making lashes longer and darker just isn’t enough – who knew?)

"Wet look" lashes, like I'd been crying -and can you see the irritation!?

I found that with this guy, the lashes got longer and were very separated. Good, no? Well, not for me... turns out, I have very thin lashes - yay! And with the formula doing absolutely nothing to 'bulk' up them up, I felt they got a little spidery. I also found that the last millimeter or so of each lash was very hard to coat with product, and just didn't do justice to their usual length. In fact it very nearly of gave me that ‘wet lash’ look; like I’d been crying or caught in the rain and the mascara had started to slide off and thin everything out. But my biggest problem with this mascara (aside from the fact I want to scratch my eyes out when I wear it) is how badly it holds a curl. I have fairly straight lashes and if it were up to me, they'd be standing to attention, bolt upright. But the Maybelline Lash Sensational was a major disappointment in that aspect, and my lashes would drop after five minutes, and continue to do so as the day went on. Not considerably, but enough that I noticed it. I like my lashes to have a bit more impact, so I favour thickening, dramatic formulas that make my lashes look as close to falsies as they can. As I said, it’s all personal preference but I like people to see my lashes coming first!
I'd recommend giving this a try if you have naturally long, thick lashes and you're after a separating affect. Be very careful however if you have sensitive eyes, and be aware that girls with fine, sparse lashes may not get the best results with this one. I'll be heading back to my ol' reliable Maybelline The Falsies for now!
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. It is so hard finding the perfect mascara I have been rather unsatisfied with the last few I have tried!
    Themoonmoth.com xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My holy grail mascara has been Maybelline The Falsies for so many years. I just love that stuff! :) x

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy you posted this because I was just about to buy it yesterday and backed out at the last second so I could read a bit more about it! My favourite mascara is Falsies too (it works so well especially for a drugstore mascara) so I'll probably just stick to that one for now!

    xx
    bartlett-pair.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, what good luck :) You might be alright with it if you have lovely thick lashes, but stay away if your eyes are sensitive! The Falsies is amazing, isn't it!? :D x

      Delete
  3. So glad you wrote about this Ally, my Benefit Rollerlash is coming to an end and his has been touted as a good dupe. Will definitely splurge on the real thing now, such a shame you were left disappointed :( Great post though lovely!

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elle. Yeah it just didn't work the miracles I expected it to... Definitely can't see this being a good dupe for a mascara designed to be all about the curl. Just an excuse to splash out on the Roller Lash now though ;) x

      Delete
  4. Hi lovely, I've nominated you for the Liebster Awards, please go to midnightmistx.blogspot.co.uk for your questions! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's so sweet! I've been nominated my More Than A Moan already and I keep meaning to get round to putting up my post! I'll definitely go and check out your blog though, and maybe I'll answer both sets of questions! :) x

      Delete
  5. I've been looking for mascara recently, and I have absolutely NO experience.
    I'm gonna steer clear of this stuff. Anything you'd recommend? Apart from the Falsies, of course.
    Everspark xx
    http://eversparkblogs.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely recommend the Falsies! :P But also The Rocket (total Maybelline mascara junkie here) and They're Real by Benefit - both great :) I hear collection and Bourjois do good mascaras too. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a shame you were allergic to this, I thought it would be a good product from all the hype it's getting but thank you for the honesty.
    Dalal xx, monochromedaisies.blogspot.com (new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dalal, thank you for following - welcome to my blog! :) Yeah it is a shame... I think it's mostly a good mascara but even if I wasn't allergic, I like a thicker, dramatic look so it just wasn't for me! xx

      Delete
  8. I really like and appreciate your article.Thanks Again. Will read on…

    coconut oil for hair Rawalpindi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Along with the issues above, sleeping in mascara may cause lashes to fall off as it dries and clumps overnight. Don't take any chances of harming your eye health. Never sleep in mascara, and be sure that it's removed properly before you lie down for the night.
    essence i love extreme mascara price

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, I read and reply to every single one! Ally. x

© Uptown Peach | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig