Friday 3 April 2015

Sneak Peek Inside Mum's House | Home Decor Highlights


Maybe I'm a nosy parker but I've always loved getting a sneak peek into someone else's home. Whether that's to find out more about them as a person, "borrow" home decor ideas or just good old fashioned voyeurism, I've always preferred getting glimpses inside of real homes over the staged, sterile show-homes in magazines. They either look entirely unattainable or cold and uninviting - sometimes both - and who wants that? A proper home is so often a reflection of the lives happening inside of it, perhaps that's what makes it a pleasure (and a privilege) to observe. So without further adue, let me introduce you to the authentic, lived in, very loved home of my Mum and Stepdad.


One of my favourite bits in the entire house has got to be the Kitchen wall. Our appliances (fridge, oven, draws, cupboards) all line up along the other side of the room, leaving a rather boring plain white wall, which Mum and Steve cut bright green squares into, creating a real statement piece. The kitchen overlooks our garden, and bringing the green inside as an accent colour keeps the room looking open, spacious and fresh. They then filled the space with over-sized Scrabble letters, to spell out the very wise words, "eat cake".

If we leave the kitchen and head out to the garden, (excuse the dog toy!) you'll mostly find lawn leading to a small outhouse that my parents use as an office/garage. But before this, there's a patio area with a picnic bench, a few plants, etc. My favourite part of the patio is the small stretch of brick wall that Mum and Steve have covered with plates and pottery from their travels to Morocco. Lanterns hang from the wooden rafters and the vibrant colours give the garden an exotic, warm feel... even in the dreary British weather!

From one garden to another; meet Duck. Duck has sat on her little blue "pond" in our front garden for many years now. She's a bit weathered and worn but she still attracts a lot of attention from passers by and we love her. The blue shingle she sits on makes it look like she's bobbing along happily in her watery home, and visitors and friends can often tell which house we are by asking, "are you the one with the giant duck outside?"

Rather fittingly, we're finishing our tour with a stop at the bathroom. The light creams and sandy colours all work well together to create a very peaceful, relaxing vibe, and the tiles paired with the white wood and pebbles make everything feel a little spa-esc. You may be wondering what a photo of the inside of the shower has to do with anything, but I truly love this shower for it's amazing seat. I can assure you, that there is no greater feeling after a long day than getting into a steaming hot shower and sitting comfortably, undisturbed, under the running water. Pure bliss... Oh, and super easy to shave your legs too. Just sayin'.


My Mum does read my blog (Hi Mum!) so please keep your comments kind - as I know you will. What little trinkets or rooms in your house are your favourite? Let me know below, I'd love to read about what makes your house your home and maybe "borrow" a few home decor ideas from you too!

SHARE:

25 comments

  1. Love the home decor, I'm such a nosey person too, always getting inspiration for my bedroom!x

    Reply x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sophie :) Yeah it's so important to make your room your own, it should be your little haven! x

      Delete
    2. Yeah, can't resist a little purchase here and there! x

      http://livelaughlovewithnoregret.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete
  2. these photos are amazing! I especially love the scrabble letters that say eat cake! X

    Elle

    www.ellemaryjane.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elle! My Mum will be very pleased to read that you liked those... they were her little project! x

      Delete
  3. Oh wow what a lovely looking home. Owner must have such good taste. Wish I lived there. Hold on.....I do!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, the love bathrooms like that. Its as you said very peaceful and relaxing. Hahah I do find the comment above me, from your mum super funny and cute xx

    Ambra xx | Fridaysarefab.blogpot,com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ambra, yeah I miss that bathroom! Such a nice chill out space. Haha, shhh - you'll only encourage her, my Mum thinks she's funny...! x

      Delete
  5. So, your mum has incredible taste lovely. Such a beautiful, homely, inviting home... love it :)

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Elle, she'll be chuffed to hear you think that :) x

      Delete
  6. Your mum has such a great taste in homeware! Love the 'Eat Cake' scarbble letters, definitely needed in my kitchen haha! x


    kacytalksbeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kacy, that's really kind of you :) I like those letters too, they were an addition to the kitchen made after I moved out. x

      Delete
  7. Your mum has lovely taste! I love the way she styled her house!

    G.J - A Personal Style, Beauty & Lifestyle blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Georgia, that's really sweet :) She'll be very pleased! x

      Delete
  8. the decorations look so nice, love the kitchen as well!

    danielle | avec danielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle, I think the kitchen is my favourite bit too! x

      Delete
  9. omg!! wonderful interior/home decor!!! :D

    Have a great Easter Sunday!! :D
    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sybil, that's very kind. I hope you had a great Easter Sunday too :D x

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you! My mum's head is going to explode once she see's all these lovely comments :P x

      Delete
  11. Your mum has got taste. This is lovely and I love every touch. I'm yet to properly dress my place -its a mess. Lol! :)

    missymayification.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, your comment is very sweet :) And all I'll say is... there's a reason I didn't do the home decor highlights in MY flat - it's a tip! x

      Delete
  12. I love reading home decor posts, this has given me so much inspiration.
    So glad to have discovered your blog- followed on bloglovin
    xx
    www.adrugstoreaddiction.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, I read and reply to every single one! Ally. x

© Uptown Peach | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig