Monday 2 March 2015

Six Things I've Learned About Joining A Running Club




Just like the rest of the UK population in January, I was plagued with guilt and embarrassment over my terrible over indulging over Christmas. And just like everyone else, I too swore on pain of death that I would get fit and healthy for 2015, and made a new years resolution to exercise and workout more. So I joined a beginners running club and roped my mum and my sister into it, and every Monday since January we've met at 6:15pm to curse our way round the running track at my old high school in our little support group of three.
There's probably a total of thirty members, and maybe ten or so coaches, and we all follow a running "schedule" (X time running, X time recovery walk, repeat) followed by homework (in the form of more running!) to complete before the next meet up.

So what's it been like? Am I enjoying it? Do I recommend it? With so many people desperate to improve their health and fitness, what's it really like to join a club dedicated to just that?
Below are six things I've learned about running club and what it's really like to join one.

 

1. The woman you’ll meet will not be intimidating.
And they won’t even slightly resemble the gazelle-like, beautiful woman you see in the sports catalogues. Most of the women at my running club are busy mums in their 40s, running together in groups of two or three, trying to shift that pesky Christmas weight. Even the coaches just look like normal woman, and not even normal woman at their best, because running outside in the cold without a scrap of makeup can give your face a little more than just a “flush”. Everyone gets sweaty, red faced and exhausted. No one there is the glamorous exception.
2. No one is watching you.
Everyone is far too busy concentrating on their own run to give a damn about yours. Look like Phoebe from Friends when you run? No one cares. Not one person is scrutinizing your running technique, your speed or your stamina. People are working too hard to care, and are just trying to get through the last few minutes without collapsing in a heap on the track. Either that or they’re too worried about looking stupid themselves to be looking at you.
3. Expensive workout clothes don’t matter.The vast majority of the woman at my running club are in their tracksuit bottoms and an old baggy tshirt. Like I said, no one is looking at you anyway so wear whatever makes you feel comfortable. Try to wear clothes designed for workouts if you can, (the fabric doesn’t bunch up or get in the way, plus they regulate temperature better) but Asda and Primark have great ranges that will more than do the job. We’ve all seen those people with all the gear and no idea, and at the end of the day, whether your gear costs £9 or £90 it doesn’t make you a better runner!
4. …but a good sports bra does!
We’ve all been there; cupping our assets as we bolt up the stairs, trying to avoid the pain. I come from a family of heavier chested woman, and if you’re blessed with the breasts, a sports bra will improve your running by 100%. It will almost completely flatten you out, keeping your boobs from spilling over the top or drooping to your knees after a year. Literally, it will feel like running without boobs. So if you’re going to invest in workout clothes don’t break the bank on a pair of LuluLemon Wonder Unders, go get yourself fitted for a decent sports bra. Seriously, embrace the freedom!
5. The only bad workout is the one you don’t do.
It doesn’t matter if you need to stop for a minute and take a breather. It doesn’t matter if you didn’t do as well as you wanted or as well as the girl next to you. All that matters is that it’s cold, and dark, and beginning to rain, and you’re out on a track trying your hardest, instead of slumped on the sofa with a Cadbury Bar & A Half. Doing something or doing nothing is a choice, so be proud you made the right one!
6. Your body can do so much more than you think it can.
When I joined running club, I thought there was no way I was ever going to be able to run for five solid minutes without stopping. But I proved myself wrong, and now I can run for thirty minutes without stopping, and feel energised enough to do it again after just a few minutes recovery time. When you push through discomfort, you can do so much more than you’d ever assume of yourself. Even when your body has reached its physical limit, if you try again in a few days, you’ll be stronger and fitter than you were before. Try not to measure results based on dropping a dress size, and look at the extra strength and stamina that your body is gaining over time. It doesn’t take long at all to build up, and watching myself improve has actually become a much better motivator than achieving a certain body type. Maybe because it happens so much faster?
Keep going and before long, today’s workout will be next week’s warm up.
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. This is such a great post Ally. I have absolutely no motivation when it comes to the gym - or exercise in general to be totally honest - and thought about joining a running club but was put off by all the misconceptions you mentioned. Definitely going to look one up now :)

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elle! I'm so pleased you found it helpful! :) I love your blog design by the way, it's really clear cut and easy to read but still pretty. x

      Delete
  2. Really liked your post, Im trying to stay healthy too ;)
    Andrea
    www.andreader.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's harder than people think isn't it!? :P x

      Delete
  3. This is so motivating! I need to get out there and start running rather than walking to the gym, working out for 10 minutes, and then going home!
    http://whiteshirtchic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But at least you go to the gym! That's amazing! :D I'd be terrified and totally self conscious :S x

      Delete
  4. I started the 30 day shred and found it made me so much fitter that I was actually able to run for once in my life without almost dying! I really enjoyed it x

    www.beautydrawer.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, cool :) Did you do a post on it? You totally should, I bet loads of people would love to read about that. My boyfriend does P90X and he gets results very very quickly from that :) x

      Delete
  5. yeah I agree. there is no use to be ashamed in the gym where everyone else are busy doing exercises. I slowed down lately, can't find good time to go to the gym.

    hanisnina.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about getting some workout DVDs and trying them at home? Better than nothing :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, I read and reply to every single one! Ally. x

© Uptown Peach | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig