Friday 27 February 2015

Product Spotlight | Urban Decay Revolution Lipsticks



Oh. Wow. They’re described on Urban Decay’s website as “creamy, badass luxury”, and I don’t think I could agree with that statement any more. The Urban Decay Revolution Lipsticks retail for around £15.50 and in my opinion, are worth every penny of that price tag. The shades I currently own are Catfight, Native, Anarchy and one “Sheer” formula, Lady Flower.
(Lady Flower will have her own paragraph at the bottom, as the Sheer formula does seem to behave slightly differently from the rest.)



The packaging is edgy, weighty and looks very cool on display. The sheer formulas have a slight lilac tint to them whilst the original line is a silvery gunmetal colour. These lippys are not for the fait hearted though, and I wouldn’t recommend them for those of who you might be new or inexperienced when it comes to lipsticks, because wearing one of these is like painting on your lips with paint. Mulan, anyone? 




Y’know when you temporarily forget how high maintenance applying a red lip can be, and then you go to whack it on only to take extra care to stay in the lines, not smudge anything and keep it all looking even and crisp? That’s how pretty much  how all of these are. When applying, the pigmentation is so intense that even the more gentle natural colours leave you little room for error, especially on pale skin tones like mine. I’m sure my rushed swatches are a mess so don’t look too closely!

From right-left: Catfight, Native, Anarchy, Lady Flower


But don’t let that terrify you because once they’re on, they’re going nowhere. I couldn’t believe how long lasting they were when applied properly. Blot these once or twice, reapply and blot again and they won’t budge. I got through a three course meal whilst wearing Catfight, and can trust Native to still be hanging around after a lengthy day shopping. The finish isn’t matte, but isn’t a glossy look either. It’s just a nice, creamy middle ground. They don’t feather, (which is big problem on me, especially with creamy textures) nor do they slip and slide about as the day goes on. All that sounds like a bit of a recipe for dry lips at the end of the day, but they’re not drying at all. I never have a problem with dryness when I wear these, nor have I noticed a drying affect over time from them. In fact, they glide over any dry or rough patches on my lips beautifully, and if anything seem to make them appear softer and smoother than before. I’m desperate to own more from the line because I’ve never been so impressed with a traditional lipstick, I think they may even make Holy Grail Status in that department.
Lady Flower is the only “Sheer” formula I currently own, though I hope to fix that very soon! I have swatched almost all the Sheer line, and was once again surprised by the strong pigmentation of them. One coat is defiantly enough, but you could build it to two coats if you really wanted to. I’ve come to imagine the term “Sheer” as meaning a soft tint - think Revlon Lip Butters and Rimmel Baby Lips - but that’s not at all what Urban Decay have created with these. The best way I can describe it, is to say that the Sheer Line is simply a regular lipstick, as you would imagine a lipstick to typically be in your head. They apply like normal, wear off after an acceptable amount of time, and give a decent pigmentation. The regular Revolution lipsticks however, are like lipsticks on steroids. If that frightens you a bit, then why not experiment with the sheer line which carries many of the same awesome colours but in a more wearable,  every day appropriate way.
Overall, these are awesome awesome products, and I can’t wait to own more.
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. These look so nice! I need to go out and get one...really detailed review, I love it! Love your blog too, I followed :)
    http://whiteshirtchic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - that's really kind of you to say :) And yes! Go buy one! They're absolutely amazing. x

      Delete
  2. Beautiful colors

    Mel
    http://www.girlandthepolkadot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) They show up pretty true on my very white skin. Sometimes a swatch will look really pink but it's sooo brown on me!

      Delete
  3. i've always wanted to try these, the colors look lovely!

    xx danielle // shades of danielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look gorgeous, and the pigmentation looks just lovely! X

    lanaalicewilman.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I end up in House of fraser - which is a lot - Im constantly watching Native... such a beautiful colour and I love the formula too. Good to hear they last for ages... so hard to find that in a moisturising lipstick :)

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, I read and reply to every single one! Ally. x

© Uptown Peach | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig